Saturday, January 5, 2013

Salutations!

Hello, darlings! Welcome to yet another blogger's obligatory introductory post! My name is... Well, my name's not important, but you can call me Marigold... Or Hyper-chan, since I do answer to that too. I am, in short, a nerd and a geek and a dork and a weirdo - you take your pick of which is your favorite! I love ugly animals like aardvarks and hyenas and catfish, I sing at the top of my voice in all kinds of places, and fish rock my world.

There, now that's out of the way. With that done, here's some more in a somewhat more organized fashion, I should hope. Let's move right on into the meat of the subject - the purpose of this blog. While your somewhat-regularly-scheduled randomness and cuteification is all well and good, this blog DOES have a purpose:

One, I am a ten-year veteran of the nerd convention scene. I started out at Anime Weekend Atlanta 9 when I was just shy of sixteen years old. Since then, I have been to Dragon*Con, MegaCon, MetroCon, MomoCon, Jeff Mach's Wicked Winter Faire, the Georgia Renaissance Festival, the Hoggetowne Medieval Faire in Gainesville, Florida - all for multiple years. It's been a long, strange trip through the years, but I can honestly say I've loved all my cons and most of the people there! I've made a bunch of friends that I'm proud to know (you know who you are!) and even aided in converting my sister to nerd-ism!

Two, I am a feminist. Yes, you can be a feminist and a nerd, a con-goer, a magical girl, an anime girl, a cat-girl, a pirate, a fairy princess, a Disney princess, and anything else you want to be. Any sentence that starts out "You can't be a feminist and..." says to me that the speaker has missed the point of feminism.

I've started this blog to combine my passions. Hence, the title - yes, it IS a shoutout to the Spice Girls... I do believe that anime (while, yes, it does have its faults) and nerd culture (I'll be talking to you too, don't worry!) can be very female-positive. Yes, there's some stuff that's so female-negative that you can't ignore it or sweep it under the rug or whatever. Perspective, however, is a powerful thing and I think it's time that both feminism and nerdism changed theirs.

So yes, that's this blog and me! I've been meaning to do this for some time, so why not right here in the new year! Marigold/Hyper-chan, over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment