Thursday, February 14, 2013

Apparently, it is "Love Day"...

Hello, my dears, I'm sure you know what today is. Red hearts everywhere, a fairly forgettable Bing Crosby number, and half-price chocolate tomorrow - everyone knows what it's all about. No, I'm not going to give you a history lecture or whatever. There's probably a few different origin stories for all this stuff anyway. Either way, there's a lot of very strong feelings going on about the 24-hour period marked on our calendars as February 14th.

Some people love it - and we love to hate people who love it. Anyone who dares to get openly lovey with their special someone is met with a barrage of glares and spiteful cynicism. Yes, I'm sure some of that does come from jealousy. No, I'm not putting a value judgment on that, because there's really no point to that. It's human to feel jealousy or to feel upset or unhappy when someone else has something you want or feel was denied you. I'm just saying - as with anything else, if you have nothing constructive to say, you have two things to do. First, you need to keep non-constructive comments to yourself. Second, you need to examine honestly within yourself why someone else's business has that much bearing on your own happiness.

Some people hate it - and for some reason, we love to hate those people too. We like to get on our high horses and say how bitter and cynical they are, while WE, of course, are nothing like that! Yeah, no. It's your own thing, whether or not to enjoy a particular "holiday." I put it in quotations because this one is pretty well constructed. So if you don't agree with someone on their view of the day, it's probably better to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

One thing I would like to note, though: I dislike when people refer to today as "Singles' Awareness Day." One, the implication is usually pretty hetero-normative - that is to say, implying that straight relationships are the norm and ignoring the issues of people outside that norm. I think that's not cool. Two, it puts a value judgment on having a relationship. I don't think that's right either. I have issues with being in a relationship for any reason other than "I care for this person." It shouldn't be about status or whatever else. When you make a relationship about anything other than "I care about this person" then I believe it objectifies that person and makes them less important than your own wants. I understand that self-care is necessary, but learn to really make that SELF-care. I would advise that you not enter a relationship in an attempt to approximate self-care.

What I would really like to see, if we must commemorate February 14th in some way, would be a thing called "Love Day." I know that sounds all kinds of cheesy. This may be where you (if you are of age!) might want to go get some wine to go with it. I mean it, though. I'd love to see an entire day to celebrate love - the love of friends, family, significant others, whoever! You can keep the candy hearts and decorations and overpriced lingerie too! It's a great thing to celebrate love, but let's try to make it INCLUSIVE, because when it comes down to it, the Beatles had it right.

All you need is love.

Marigold, wishing you a lovely evening with whomever you wish, saying good night from her blanket fort!

No comments:

Post a Comment