Thursday, April 18, 2013

Miss Representation - my thoughts

He everybody! My sister, best friend, and fellow blogger posted this video, "Miss Representation," on Tumblr a little while back. I apologize again for taking so long, but with the extended illness, it couldn't be helped. I've got several lovely commentaries for y'all stored up in my backlog, but with the end of the semester and trying to play catchy-uppy, I've got to prioritize. Right now, this is what I can't stop thinking about.

Please watch the video. Please! Really, I can wait - I'm patient! I'll just sit here and eat my delicious ginger-sriracha soba with pan-seared squash and portobello mushrooms. Cool? Okay, I'm just gonna wait while you watch.

Watched it? Good! Now, okay, I have a few things to say on this. One, this short video is just the trailer for a whole film. If someone could direct me to where I might watch the full extent of the film, I would be most grateful. Two, this should be required viewing for all human beings in a media-driven society. There are definitely things I agree with, like the media being "gatekeepers" of the status quo, control of information, and a lot of people's distorted self-worth. Three, there are some things that, as a feminist, I disagree with.

I realize these women - good, intelligent, remarkable women - are feminists too. I respect them greatly. In my Media and Society class last semester, the incomparable Dr. Stone had us watch "Killing Us Softly." I encourage everyone to watch that as well - it gives people of every gender so much to sit down and think about. However, the overwhelming message of "Miss Representation" and "Killing Us Softly" is one that I disagree with. The message reads (in my opinion, feel free to RESPECTFULLY disagree) that any sexual portrayal of women is automatically bad. Sexual portrayals of women are, without exception, unilaterally demeaning and objectifying.

As an aspiring pin-up model and burlesque performer, I absolutely must disagree with this on principle. PART of women's power and personhood is sexuality. This is something I disagree with an entire "wing" of feminism on, and I believe it contributes to many misconceptions about feminism. One of these misconceptions is that feminists hate sex and sexuality and want all women everywhere to become asexual so that men can't get laid. I'm sounding the bullshit alarm LOUD AND CLEAR here - I dunno about any of you, but here's one feminist who does NOT hate sex! It's just as bad as the "Oh, they just want an excuse to go have free sex." I'm not even COMMENTING on that crap. I believe it is divisive and unproductive, this first misconception.
  1. It, like so many other things, superimposes a removal of choice from the individual woman about her sexuality. She must follow someone ELSE'S definition of "how to do it right" instead of thinking, considering, and making her own choices for her own body and sexuality. 
  2. It becomes a "made" problem. While we're busy fussing and fuming and fighting about who's "doing it right" and who's not, we're not making ACTUAL PROGRESS. Chew on that for a second, and how much it benefits the patriarchy.
I am NOT knocking "Miss Representation" or "Killing Us Softly." I think the messages are profound and powerful and they need to be heard. I just think they are not the be-all and end-all of what feminism is. It is always, always, always so important to question ideologies and see how they fit with what YOU want out of life. If something doesn't sit right with you, speak up! That's what I'm doing. I am very impressed by these women and I adore them for what they do. I am also open to the possibility that I may have misinterpreted the message. The bottom line, though, that I got from all this is that media portrayal of women in any sexual context is a bad thing. I know that there are bad portrayals - you'll be hearing about them a lot on here! I do not think, however, that all portrayals can be painted with the same "wrong and bad" brush.

To me, pin-up, burlesque, and the convention scene are all very positive outlets for female sexy-ness and body positivity. I think of these places as safe spaces for women to express themselves in a powerful, wonderful way. I think a lot of women feel the same way. It really does rub me the wrong way to imply that any sexual portrayal of a woman is a bad thing. To me, it smacks of "Poor Widdle Deluded Girl Syndrome" - the mentality of "ANYONE knows what is best for a particular woman better than that woman herself." I dunno about you, but I know ME and I am the only one who can know ME better than anyone else on the planet. To tell me how I should feel about the portrayal of my body is presumptuous and rude. Let me decide for myself how I feel about a particular portrayal, cos sure as hell you're going to hear about it!

Marigold, hoping this lovely soba stays down, and giving everyone a high-five today!

No comments:

Post a Comment